Friday, April 20, 2012

Songs I Never Get Tired Of #23

by Norah Jones

I'll be the first person to admit that I don't listen to enough jazz. However, ever since hearing 'Don't Know Why' as a part of the mix CD we listened to when warming up in university drama, I knew that I loved Norah Jones. When an artist is easy on the eyes and easy on the ears, you're pretty much helpless, I find.


The cool melancholy of Jones is a part of what I like about her so much. 'Shoot the Moon' is a fairly wistful song. As she sings of a lost love, she wonders if the passing of the seasons had something to do with it. I think many of us have been there at least once, where a summer fling dies as we head into autumn, and with the cooling of the fall season, our passions cool along with it.

Universal themes are an easy way to sell records, of course...but if you've never really listened to jazz, Norah Jones is a pretty easy transition for an ear unaccustomed to the style.

No comments:

Post a Comment